Friday, June 10, 2011

Groups, Floods, and Plans

It has been a few days since I have posted anything. I am convinced Haiti is a time-warp, there is no sense of the hour or day for that matter and there are not enough hours in the day to accomplish everything that needs to be accomplished in addition to loving some wonderful kids in intentional ways. This week we had our first group arrive since Cameron and I have been here, it has been a beautiful thing to watch how the Lord is moving in the hearts of those who are here, and it has been quite the experience for me being able to be on this side of things. To be the one who is encouraging the group and sharing about Hands and Feet, telling kids stories, and showing them around town; I think I enjoy this side much more . We have a group of 11 in from California, a group that our usual team has had the opportunity to encourage throughout their journey. The leader of the group has been sponsoring one of our children since early 2009, this was her first time meeting him and it was a beautiful thing to see! He was a little shy at first but once he realized who she was he did not want to leave her side. This group is full of special people, as I assume most groups will be, but they have nothing but encouraging things to say about our staff here and Hands and Feet as a whole, obviously they are preaching to the choir, because we all love this place tremendously and our passion shines. However, being here on a day to day basis makes you forget why we are here sometimes, and if we really are making a difference in the lives of these children, well my Spirit was refreshed this week by having a conversation with one of the girls. Julie, is originally from Laos and became a Christian through missionaries at a young age, she shared her testimony with us, a very moving testimony to say the least, but she said each time she sees us interact with the kids she is brought back to that refugee camp and remembers clearly the face of the woman who shared Jesus with her. My hope is that these kids will one day head to the ends of the earth to share the love of Christ just as Julie is! I hope that we are reminded daily how intentional we are to be with them so in 10-20 years from now when they are serving orphans in another country they can be reminded of this place and how well they were loved! Another of the girls here is really being stirred to commit to serving in Haiti, I know all too well that feeling, that feeling of being terrified, overwhelmed, and questioning – “how in the world was I chosen to do this?!?” Pray for her, pray for guidance and direction so she can see clearly the path the Lord has laid down before her.
On the 6th of this month we had some serious rain come through PAP and nearly destroy our home there. We have had this house for a few months with hopes of making it another orphanage, but we have yet to receive any children, well God knew what He was doing, and it was a blessing that we did not have any kids in that house on that day. The rain tore down two of the exterior walls of the home and trash from all over the city flooded the yard. It brought in approximately four feet of mud into the lower level of the house (were the kids rooms were going to be!), flipped over the stove, freezer, washer, dryer, and generator. Praise the Lord that Michelle and intern for physically okay, just shaken up for the most part. Three of the neighbors were killed in the flood, I can only imagine how many more were killed or injured. I kept envisioning all of the tent camps in the Delmas area….Pray for them. This is only the beginning of Hurricane Season and we haven’t even actually had a hurricane yet. Pray that the people will be able find the strength they need to get through. The people of Haiti are built to overcome adversity, they have to be to live here!
Each and every day that I am here I fall more in love with the culture, the people, the staff and the kids! I have always known I loved Haiti but I didn’t think it was possibly to love it this much! A couple of days ago our nannies had an evening out, Calvary Chapel hosts a womens event every few months and our nannies go to it, with approximately 400 other Haitian women. While I was watching the younger girls while their nanny was out, Barbara the little girl my family sponsors called me mom...I nearly lost it. Am I really making that big of a difference in the lives of these children? Do they love me that much to honor me and call me mom?!? After she did that one of the other girls, Tamara (she was the first child to live here, who has stolen a huge piece of my heart) caught on and began calling me mom as well...Now everyday when she gets home from school she runs up to me screaming mom, mom, I love you! This is what life is about... Last night the older boys, about 10 of them got in a military style line and began marching around the yard chanting off different couples, “Emi love Matt, Stacie love Cameron, Bekah love Class C” it was HILARIOUS, I have never seen them do that before, all in unison and right on beat! After they were ‘fini’ planning our marriages they went and got some paint buckets and sticks and began playing music! Oh my word those children are talented! They have rhythm like no other!! They beat on the ‘drums’ and danced for at least an hour if not longer, I could have fallen asleep listening to them! Esaiie, one of our younger boys was their director and Gerlande one of our younger girls was leading the dancing. I am seriously amazed daily at how talented these children are! I tried to get some audio recording, I will see how it came out and possibly post later providing I have enough internet to do so!!!
I love being here, more than anything…I am just unsure what that means for my life. It has been almost a month since I arrived and it has flown by which makes me terribly sad, but it also feels like I have been here forever. Yes, I miss my family but that is really it. If I am honest with myself I didn’t think I would be able to make it through more than two weeks without being terribly homesick, that is not the case. This place feels like home. Pray without ceasing for me please. My flight goes back to the states on August 2nd and I am not prepared for that, I don’t see how I could possibly go back to Nashville and get back to a ‘time-restrained’ life. I need guidance and direction, I know I still have about two months left, but I don’t feel like its long enough. Pray that the Lord will open doors where they need to be opened and close doors that need to be closed. I have some awesome opportunities back in Nashville with Hands and Feet and I want to serve wherever I am most needed, whether that is here or there… I was talking with my mom a couple of days ago and was sharing that the Lord has just been revealing to me why I am not married with kids of my own yet. He wants me to pour every ounce of love that I have into this family here. I am a passionate person and love people, but when I love them, I want to love them intentionally and sincerely and I don’t think I am at a point in my life where I could balance the two, loving a spouse well and loving orphans well, I think the Lord is still dramatically preparing my heart for that moment. However, I do know at this point in my life I am called to love and serve in this way and he has given me the passion and desire to do so!!! So please, continue to pray for guidance for what my next step should be!
Emi is going back to Lucksons village today to check the TB test that she did on the young boy a few days ago. Pray for him, we are almost certain he has TB but the Lord can do miracles! We see them every day! She will be going this afternoon so I should know shortly….

On another note, our new website is up and running and we still have a lot of kids who need sponsors, would you consider sponsoring one of our children to help make their dreams come true? Visit www.handsandfeetproject.org and click child sponsorship. If you have any questions about it send me an email at rebekahpeoples@aol.com and I will answer to the best of my ability!!

Again thank you for taking this journey with me, your prayers are felt every day.
Much Love,
Bek

No comments:

Post a Comment