Sunday, March 27, 2011

This adventure is rapidly approaching...

As I sit here in the comfort of my home, trying to do homework I am reminded that in just under 6 weeks I will be in Haiti, with children that I love more than anything...But this adventure is also becoming a reality..I am a tad (ok maybe alot) nervous about this, this is a HUGE step of faith for me to take. Today I started going over my finals schedule and choosing which day would be my last day of work, and it hit me, as soon as I put in my two weeks I am trusting that God is going to take care of the rest, and I hear "Go, Rebekah" and I want my heartfelt response to be "I will go Lord, I will go where you send me" but my initial response is "HOW, Lord? How?" and He replies "Cast all your anxiety on me, because I care for you.." (I Peter 5:7) I am praying for strength right now to TRUST in the bigger picture, but as we know when we are doing what the Lord is calling us to do Satan does his best to distract us... Then I hear "Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. " (I Peter 5:8-9) I have so much to say, but no words to put to my emotions...So I ask that you will be in prayer for me as this adventure rapidly approaches. I finally finished my support letter and am going to post it here for those of you whose addresses I do not have. Thank you in advance for walking through this journey with me...

Four years ago, I had no idea I would be where I am, it was just a dream, preparing to move to Haiti. As many of you know we just returned from our third trip to Jacmel, Haiti to work at the Hands and Feet Project. While in Jacmel this February the Lord began stirring very earnestly in many of hearts that we were to be more involved with Hands and Feet on a more than ‘once a year’ basis. For each of us this adventure looks different, but I am excited to see the doors that open for each of us who have begun this journey.
For me, this journey is beginning very quickly. My degree program at school requires that I do an internship, so upon returning from Haiti I met with my advisor and he said I could most definitely use an internship with HAF to fulfill this requirement (this made me very excited!!!) So, I applied with HAF and was accepted after a couple of weeks of impatiently waiting! I committed to serving for three months! I will be filling a couple of different roles while at HAF as well as being prepared to be flexible, after all it is Haiti :) I will be the ‘group coordinator’ for teams that are coming in to volunteer, I will be in communication with teams prior to their arrival as well as organizing projects for them to do while at HAF. This will relieve a lot of responsibility from the directors so that they can focus on the overall functioning of the children’s village. I will also be organizing the new child sponsorship program; I will be updating the sponsors of the 54 children at HAF once a week with photos and updates of their progress in school, spiritual growth, etc. I am so excited to be able to support them in this way, and am excited to learn from what HAF has to offer…
I will be leaving on May 5th, to head home for a few days to spend some time with the family before heading to Haiti with my younger brother Cameron (he will be serving for three months as well!!) In order for me to take this internship I have quite a large amount of money to raise, in a very short amount of time…I need to raise funds to cover my airfare to and from Haiti, to cover my rent while out of the country so I still have a place to live when I return in August to finish school, to purchase supplies that need to be brought in since they are difficult to obtain there, and I would also like to give HAF a portion of the money to help off-set my cost of living while there, since they will be providing my room and board…. All of those expenses add up to approximately $5,000 that I have to raise in just under six weeks. I am quite nervous since it is such a short amount of time, but I have also seen the Lord do much bigger things than this... This is where I could really use both prayer and financial support. Moving to Haiti for three months is a big decision for me, but I believe it is the right one. Through this process over the last couple of weeks, I have felt the Lord asking me to trust Him in the bigger picture, not only that He will provide my financial needs, but that He will provide for me while I am there, emotionally and spiritually, and that He will provide for me upon my return home.
So I ask, if you would please take time out of your day to stop and pray for this journey my brother and I are about to embark on, and ask the Lord how you can be a part of it… Pray for protection for us upon preparation for this trip, we know and are aware this is when Satan will do his best to start attacking, and I assure you he already has. Pray for protection while we travel, while we are in Haiti, and when we prepare to return home. Pray for our hearts, that we are able to deal with whatever may come our way, pray our spirits are protected and that we would wear the armor of the Lord each and every day… And lastly, if you feel you are able to support this internship financially please contact me… As I stated earlier I have a very short amount of time to raise a large amount of money so all of the support I can get is very much appreciated! If you feel you are able to support financially you may mail me a check (email me for my address) or you can click on “How you can help” on the right hand side of the screen which will take you directly to my ‘chip-in’ account, and you can donate via PayPal. Mailing a check would be best, but if you prefer to use the internet feel free to use the ‘chip-in’ account. I will also be updating my blog as this journey continues, so, check back frequently for updates! Please feel free to share my blog with your friends and family as well, the more prayer and support we have for this journey the better!!
Thank you so very much for taking time out of your day and busy schedule to read this letter and pray for me…. I could NOT have taken these trips to Haiti over the last three years if it wasn’t for the support of my family and friends, and I need you to know how much I appreciate you and your support! Thank you for helping me get to my kids in Haiti and I look forward to walking through this journey with you!!!
<3 Rebekah

Clinging to this scripture:
Romans 15:13 - May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment