Saturday, May 14, 2011

The last few weeks....

I apologize in advance for not posting in a few weeks, but I am just preparing those of you who are actually reading, on how infrequently I will be posting . To be honest I have been on kind of an emotional rollercoaster these last few weeks. In addition to preparing to leave for Haiti for the summer I had to move around my house, find two new roommates, final projects and finals for the end of the semester, all while trying to pack for both California and Haiti and moving all of my stuff to our basement so Kelsey (the sweet girl who is renting my room for the summer) will have space to put her belongings. Whose bright idea was it to leave the day after finals? Ohhhh that’s right, mine. Haha. All of that to say, the last few weeks have been extremely bittersweet. I have enjoyed every moment with my friends in Nash as well as getting to know some new people. I really enjoyed my time in California with my family, my grandparents, aunt, cousin, brothers, sisters and nieces and nephews as well as getting to see a few of my dear friends. With all of that it was hard to not question why I am doing this… Why am I packing up everything, giving up things that are so important and comfortable to me to move to Haiti for three months? Yes, I have a return flight, and know I will be back in the states the beginning of August, however, these things that didn’t seem to matter to me, suddenly began to matter. Hot showers, my bed, air conditioning, texting/calling my friends whenever I feel like it, straight hair – things that sound absurd as I write them down – I suddenly began to worry about not having. Then I found myself frustrated with these feelings, I haven’t ever been ‘that girl’ who needed all of these things, or maybe I was and just didn’t realize it. I don’t want to be ‘that girl’. I don’t want to stress out over not having things that our culture says we should have, things that soooo many other places would look at and think I am rich. I know it sounds cliché but its reality and I know this, I have seen these things first hand…Lord take my selfish desires from me…

Now my brother and I are on a plane to Florida, I feel like we just did this. I am re-evaluating and reminding myself of why I am on this flight. Why am I going to Haiti? Specifically Hands and Feet? When I ask myself these questions I am brought back to a time nearly four years ago when I first heard about Hands and Feet through Air1 and I sent an email asking how I could go to Haiti because I felt like I needed to (see previous posts to read about that entire journey). I know without a doubt in my mind that the Lord placed Haiti on my heart and gave me a passion and desire to serve there, why he chose me? I have no idea, and I am humbled and overwhelmed that he did. I also know that he called me specifically to serve the children at the Hands and Feet Project. Children that myself and some of my dear friends and even family have built relationships with. To be honest I feel ill-equipped, I’m not good enough, I’m not strong enough, I’m not patient enough, I’m not ‘holy’ enough. In the name of Jesus Satan has no place in my mind, because I know these thoughts are not from the Lord! When has the Lord ever called us to be good enough, strong enough, or holy enough? Never… He asks us to take up our cross and follow him, to deny ourselves and commit to living a life following that of Jesus Christ.

I am so scatter-brained at the moment and just trying to put words to my emotions, but I guess I honestly don’t know what I feel right now. I am STOKED to be in Haiti with some of the most fun-loving kids I have ever met, with some of the most awesome people I have ever met. I am excited to nurture relationships with the staff there and be able to be in community with one another while we are living in this place. I am excited that my brother is going and we get to share this adventure together, I hope we can all rejoice together, weep together, sing praise together, and encourage one another. Lord help us stay in your word and be led by your Spirit.

I think it is necessary to pause and look back at the miracles that have taken place to allow us to go on this trip. About a month before I was supposed to leave for California we discovered we needed to find two roommates or Annie and I would have to move as well, this thought nearly gave me a stroke, how in the world was I going to move, not only the physical part of it, but the cost that comes with moving, here I am trying to raise enough money to just cover my costs while I am in Haiti and to think of adding anything on top of it…ha. Well literally two weeks before I left we filled both spots! Praise the Lord for Kendra and Leah! We had talked about sub-letting my room while I was gone so I wouldn’t have to raise those funds and the money could go to something beneficial to HAF, however, since we were looking for two roommates as it was sub-letting was out of the question, until the Lord stepped in that is J our dear friend Kelsey needed a place to stay just for a couple of months out of the summer before she travels to Uganda and she wasn’t going to have any furniture because her parents were moving it back home to Michigan. Well….what do you know, I had a furnished room available for the entire summer! She is only there two months, but those two months help dramatically! I love how the Lord works. Since I was unable to sell my car I was trying to figure out something to do with it for the summer so it wasn’t just parked. A couple of friends of mine were in need of a car since they were sharing one so we decided it would be perfect if the ‘rented’ mine for the summer, well unfortunately the car they had broke down about a week before I left, so now at least they have one J. Thanks Sarah and Vanessa for helping me out, and I am glad I could help you as well!! There are probably many more miracles that seemed like coincidences to me in the moment so as I remember I will share! Lord thank you for providing.

Many of you may wonder what I will be doing while I am hanging out in the Caribbean for three months. In addition to loving on some super kids, spending some time at the beach and enjoying the 100* weather with 90% humidity, I will be responsible for keeping the children’s sponsors updated through the new family room, which myself and the staff at HAF in Nashville have been working very hard on getting started these last couple of months! I am so excited about this program since my family has sponsored Barbara for the last year it will be good to know that other families who sponsor children will get updated pictures and stories more often! As soon as the new site is up I will let you know so you can log on and sponsor a child yourself J. I will be spending some time in Grand Goave (HAF’s other location) getting to know those children and updating their sponsors as well. I will also be the ‘group coordinator’ throughout the year teams, much like teams I have brought in, come in every week. I will be in contact with them prior to their arrival as well as orchestrating their jobs and activities while staying at HAF. I am excited to meet so many people this summer and help nurture their passion for Haiti and these children. Lord give me strength to do well at everything I do, and make sure that your witness is my priority in each action I take…

Well considering my brother and I left without having raised all of our funds we could still use your help, if you are interested in supporting us while we are gone please email me at rebekahpeoples@aol.com or click on the “how you can help” link to the right.

Pray for us as we travel, we are almost to Florida were we will spend tonight with our cousin as well as tomorrow and we fly out first thing Friday morning to Haiti. Pray for safe flights, safe airport exits as well as a safe journey over the mountain to Jacmel. Pray for our hearts, that they will remain pure and the Lord will continue to speak to us, that He will stretch us and grow us, and teach us to rely completely on Him outside of the comforts of our home. I love you all, I will do my best to update as often as possible, not sure how often that will be. Thank you for walking on this journey with me.




Much Love,

Bek

No comments:

Post a Comment